Monday, April 26, 2010

Where is that damn white rabbit????

Harvey opened at the Indianapolis Senior Center this week, to a fabulous crowd of about 50. Participating in this show has been a breath of fresh air for me, as I recently portrayed "maggie the Cat" at Carmel Community player's Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Playing Nurse Kelly has been a joyous ride, and a challenge to my comedic timing and stretch of facial expressions.

The Indianapolis Senior Center has been very busy the past few years, tapping into its vast array of talent that patron the center. Being able to be involved, and crossing age barriers to get to know these wonderful people is a joy in my life. Listening to their stories, sharing in ideals, has helped me to continue to mold the person I know I want to become, and NOT become.

There is one gal in particular, whom I just adore. I have no idea how old she is, but to go by the eay she acts, or by how busy her life is, you would think she was 25. Her phone rings with text messages, and people calling her constantly. She swing dances, country line dances, and I believe takes every class they offer at the Senior Center. She shows no signs of slowing, and as the lead female in Harvey, she executes a performance that I find to be refreshing.

The main message, if you were looking for one, in Harvey, is that there is a little bit of "crazy" in all of us. Listening to the words of the character Elwood, when he says, "My mother always said you could be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant", resonate with me. The character dances to his own beat and makes life happen, as opposed to waiting for it to happen.

Harvey runs until May 1, 2010 at the Indianapolis Senior Center.

After which, I will be taking a well deserved break for a bit, to enjoy some evenings on my patio, drinking wine, catching up on some books, and swimming with the lil man. (Who was ecstatic, by the way, when I mentioned the break)

My big thanks to those involved in the show, as well as to those who have come or will come to see it.

~Lisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment