Saturday, May 28, 2011

Busting out of the garage

So...

How do you get ahead? How do you keep plugging away, doing "all the right things", with the hopes of someone eventually realizing your potential, and get ahead?

What do you do when you are told that you, in all angles, are a "Wow"...but yet you are continually looked over, rejected, and assumably held back?

You are a car. You have the wheels, the energy of a brand new Mustang, the inner workings of an internal electrical system that is stellar, an engine that has not been run into the ground with burn out or wear and tear...you even have the full tank of gas and the ability to find more for whatever 'journey' or task you need to accomplish. You sit there, in the garage, doing all the things you are instructed to do, being told, "keep doing what you are doing, you are an AWESOME car!!!! I am SO glad you are in MY garage!!!!" But when you say, "Hey, wave the green flag, I am ready for the ride!!!"
You get told, "You are a WOW car! Impressive! Your abilities outshine so many others!! But, you ARE just a car, after all."

My second car ever was a Ford Taurus that was my grandma's. She bought it brand new, and it was a great car. She had it for 3 years before I got it. So essentially, it was 3 years old. She drove this thing to church on Sundays, to the store, and to the doctor. That's it. It sat in the garage the rest of the time. Hardly any miles. Hardly any wear and tear.
I was excited when I got this car because to me, it was practically new! SHE NEVER DROVE IT! I was excited thinking of how little I was going to have to deal with regarding maintenance and I wouldnt have to worry about it not being reliable...it was practically new!

That car had more issues than I can remember. I recall my dad explaining it by saying that the car just sat most of the time. It did what was asked routinely, but nothing else. So when I got it, and began to use it regularly, and challenge it - the car gave me a burnt out, exhausted, "Fuck you", and would die. As a rule, the cars potential was never unlocked when my grandma had it. And so it burned out.

So what's the key? Sit in the garage revving your engine, HOPING someone will see that while sitting there, you do that so well, but you really perform at your best when you are let out of the garage????? Or do you turn into a Stephen King's 'Christine', and bust out, scaring the shit out of everyone in your way?

Getting ahead in life, love, career, whatever, you must bust out. Before your fire burns out.

LMS

No comments:

Post a Comment